Sunday, August 23, 2009

bees suck

For lunch I usually go to my favorite spot, Sugarhouse Park, in my favorite area under my favorite set of trees. I picked the tree above on Friday because it was blooming and it's little flowers were showering the ground. I usually take a blanket, take off my shoes, finish my lunch and read for an hour. It's one of my absolute favorite things to do. So imagine my dismay when this relaxing reading session turned into a not so happy affair. The funny thing is I actually was taking pictures at the park that day and so had the episode documented on camera.



See? Here's me with my shoes off enjoying the shade of my beautiful flowering tree (or so I thought).



Here are the flowers scattered all over the ground. So... I did notice that there were a few bees roaming around but I kind of thought if you left them alone they left you alone... I still think that's true for the most part. However I inadvertently crossed that boundary when I tried to move deeper into the shade. As soon as I stepped off of the blanket my foot started to feel like it was on fire. I grabbed my foot and looked at the bottom only to see a little black stinger stuck in my foot. I've never been stung by a bee before (once with a wasp when I was like 9 and I don't really remember it) but it sucks! I don't want to sound like a wimp (and don't judge me if it's been awhile since you got stung) but it hurt like a mother. I was on the ground holding my foot and rocking back and forth... yup, like a little kid. After about a minute it stopped hurting so much and I limped back to my car with my tail between my legs.



P.S. My foot has recovered, and I believe the bee died, so I'm happy. Ironically enough I had watched The Secret Life of Bees the night before (which I didn't love fyi), who'd of thought I would get stung by a bee on the bottom of my foot! Once again, bees suck :(

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Haha, sad story. I always feel bad when bees die, but not wasps. Oooh, me and wasps do NOT have a great history. What do you do in the winter for lunch?

ariel said...

kirsten! you spoke a few days too late :(

i traded in the time traveler's wife at the book garden. i bet you could go buy it there for like $4, though!

sorry!

Rachel said...

Have you read The Secret Life of Bees? Cause it sucked too. I didn't even bother with the movie. I was really dissapointed because I'd heard good things. It was just really long and boring. Also, I lent The Time Traveler's Wife to my sister. You can borrow it when she's done... or buy Ariel's from The Book Garden.

dave + kirst said...

Rachel - I did read the book and enjoyed it, not my favorite but it was interesting.

Josh and Jay said...

I told you the movie was lame!!!
I am sorry about the bee!! I have never been stung and I hope I never do!!

Chris and Tara said...

Poor Kirst.
But just so you know, bee's don't suck. They sting. Hahaha, I'm so funny. Ü Just kidding. I hope your favorite place isn't ruined forever.

This is totally random, but right now I went to type in the word verification and the word was "forvere". Kinda crazy since the last word I typed was forever. Anyway...